Coping with Stress
May 28, 2020
The current COVID-19 outbreak can be stressful for many people, especially seniors and their loved ones.
Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in both children and adults. But knowing the signs of stress can help you, the people you care about, and your community successfully cope with anxiety.
Ways to cope with stress
- Take occasional breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media.
- Take care of your body.
- Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate.
- Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals.
- Exercise regularly, chair exercises are easy to do
- Avoid alcohol and drugs.
- Get more rest or sleep.
- Make time to unwind. Do other activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
Check in with your loved ones often.
Virtual communication can help you and your loved ones feel less lonely and isolated. Consider connecting with loved ones by phone, email, mail, text messages, video chat or social media.